As a newly graduated dietitian working in a generalist position, I came across an article about food allergies. I was fascinated by the science and potential to help clients, so I decided to return to university to complete a master’s degree and specialize in this topic. Twenty-five years later, that fascination is just as strong!
Additionally, I enjoy developing engaging online learning experiences for dietitians.
|1986-90||University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Bachelor’s of Science (Food & Nutrition)|
|1990-91||University of Alberta Hospitals||Dietetic Internship|
|1993-96||University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada||Master’s of Science (Human Nutrition)|
Thesis Publication: King (Busse)W, McCargar L, Joneja JM, Barr S. Benefits of a Histamine-Reducing Diet for Some Patients with Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research 2000;61(1):24-26. Download Publication
My formal training was just the start – the best education is professional and personal experience!
- Nutrition counselling: I have provided caring support for clients suffering with food hypersensitivity for the last 20 years.
- Continuing & internship education for registered dietitians: I have developed and currently facilitate a variety of continuing education programs for registered dietitians (see rest of website for further details). I also provide yearly training to dietetic interns with the Northern Ontario Dietetic Internship Program and served as a clinical instructor with the University of Saskatchewan.
- Food Allergy Summer Camp (2004-2013): In 2004, I initiated this yearly camp in partnership with the Allergy Asthma Information Association and the YWCA YoWoChAs Outdoor Education Centre. Children from across Canada and the United States came to this camp to enjoy being a kid for a week without worrying about their meals. Planning and supervising the meal preparation for these special children was personally rewarding and a tremendous learning experience.
- Medical Advisory Committee – Mastocytosis Society Canada
- The American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology (Allied Health Member)
- College of Dietitians of Alberta
- Dietitians of Canada
Key Academic Presentations
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Webinar, The Ins and Outs of Food Allergy, 2014
- Dietitians of Canada Annual Conferences, 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2015
- 28th Annual Calgary Therapeutics Course, 2011
- Pfizer Canada (EpiPen): IgE Mediated Food Allergy (videoconference presentations for family doctors) – 2013/14
- Montreal International Symposium on Probiotics: Toward Evidence-Based Health Effects, 2006
I live in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada with my husband and two daughters. My hobbies include yoga, cross country skiing and photography.